Wednesday, July 9, 2008

4th of July





Wow, it has been a little too long since my last post. So much has happened since May 10th I don't know where to start. I guess I will start my saying a big "Thank You" to Sarah Williams for recommending the Dyson vacuum cleaner. We purchased it a couple weeks ago using saved credit card point and have been blown away. We took her advice and vacuumed our house first with our old vacuum, then with the Dyson. We got 2 entire containers in the Dyson of gross things our other vacuum missed. I love it!!! Other then that we have been pretty busy taking small trips with family, and trying to finish small projects we have started on the house. We were able to spend the 4th of July on Grand Lake near Tulsa where my dad and step mom have a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom boat. We stayed on the boat all weekend and had a blast. The fireworks show was the best I had ever seen, and it had patriotic music playing in the background which was really powerful because it caused you to reflect on the reason we celebrate the 4th of July and the men and women who made/make that possible. So when we got home I got online and found a non-profit website called anysoldier.com which enables soldiers who want letters from fellow Americans and if possible a package with goodies to sign up. We picked a small group of soldiers stationed in Iraq and as a family went to Wal-Mart to put together a package of goodies for them. I remember being at camp when I was younger and the excitement of getting a package or a letter, and I also remember always really feeling sorry for the kids who didn't get anything, you could always feel their disappointment. I am sure it is kinda the same way with our guys in Iraq. They give the package specifically to a soldier who does not receive mail, and the story about how the whole project got started is really touching. Anyways, some other highlights from our lake trip were....


  1. A fun boat ride (Ellie was almost lulled to sleep by the wind on her face and the waves)

  2. Charlie getting to drive the boat

  3. Charlie catching a fish with Capt. (my dad)

  4. Getting to make new friends at the dock

  5. Getting to see where my dad works (he sells Sea Ray boats)

Hope everyone else had a great 4th, and if you get the chance check out the any soldier website, if anything just to read how it started and some of the updates/requests from the soldiers it might really touch your heart, it did ours.



1 comment:

Gayla said...

you are an awesome and inspirational person, kelly! love your posts! (though they are waaaaay to far apart!!! :-)

hope to see you and hang out sooooon!