Friday, May 9, 2008

Landscaping & Turtle Season

A new passion of mine. After living in Portland Oregon for 2 years I have come to believe that you cannot have too much plant life in your yard. When we bought our house in Tulsa it was bare in the backyard, and had minor landscaping in the front that was needing to be taken care of. Since we moved in last year we have planted 6 trees and I can't tell you how many bushes and smaller plants. My most recent additions were 2 flowering vines, 2 butterfly bushes and an assortment of other plants that attract butterflies. I wanted to have a butterfly garden b/c it is good for the Eco-system, and I found a caterpillar on one of my plants today, I was so excited. Our dog Sammy sensed my excitement and almost took our new little friend (that Charlie affectionately named "worm worm") out. Oh and something else that for me and the rest of the fam is so exciting is that also in our butterfly garden lives a frog. Charlie named him "Frog Buck". Anyways I am so excited that we are able to provide a safe place for these animals to live. Safe from lawn mowers, further construction and other harmful things that are a part of our everyday lives. As we take up more room to live we are running so many amazing creatures out of there homes, so it feels good to be able to turn around and provide one for some of them again. This might all sound pretty crazy to some of you all, it's funny how we are all wired so differently. Also caring for animals is probably heightened in me right now b/c it is "Turtle Season" in Tulsa right now. Meaning that b/c of all the rain turtles come up and end up trying to cross busy streets, it is usually not a pretty sight. We have already saved 3 turtles and I am sure there will be countless more. My mom got multiple phone calls this time last year with me crying on the other end, wondering why God brought us to Tulsa with all the turtle killers. Well I love Tulsa now, and am so thankful to be here, but I don't love "Turtle Season".

2 comments:

Sarah W said...

turtle season sounds terrible! i've actually sent grant to rescue a turtle on the side of the road too and it almost snapped his finger off! i love your "save the world" attitude. You have lots of love and respect for God's amazing creation!

Gayla said...

i love your desire to protect and save our beautiful world! even the turtles!!! you are wonderful.

i miss you!